So far I haven’t found anything in our District that would be called a policy or a job description for teacher-librarians. There is a statement for our District Resource Centre which just tells about the services offered at the DRC. They also go on to give a short summary of how resources are selected. I asked our co-coordinator and she says there has been some discussion about developing a policy but it is a work in progress. Budgeting has really affected our district and 3/6 library positions are filled by administrators.
There are a lot of things that I would like to see in our library. At the very least a binder with expectations and some kind of scope and sequence of library skills. Over the years our library program has been a bit hit and miss. Some teachers have already indicated that they always ‘do’ a research unit and others just say they want me to organize literature circles. Some say the teacher-librarian was always too busy to fit them in. When I took this job I just assumed there would be a library skills continuum so I would know what to do. I was a little surprised at how empty the file cabinets were.
I have always felt that the library should be the hub of the school. I have many ideas and after reading articles and working my way through some of the coursework I know I am on the right track.
So my legacy for the next teacher librarian will be a binder-From how do you organize textbooks so they are ready for teachers as quickly as possible to what do you say about library expectations during the first class visit? This would certainly have been appreciated. So now that I am at least feeling a bit more confident I can turn my attention to developing information literacy.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment