Monday, November 24, 2008

Reference Materials

Rielding’s Approach
I am going to evaluate the library where I am currently the new Teacher Librarian. Our school has 200 students and an operating budget for our library of $3000.00. Out of this we need to pay approximately $800.00 for our automated system. Our school is a Grade 4-7 school and I am in the library .4 and teaching Grade 5 the rest of the time. The previous librarian would alternate years between the purchase of fiction and non-fiction. I am just starting to learn what is on the shelves and it is obvious that it hasn’t been weeded in a long time.
As a new TL, I found Riedling’s approach to be straightforward and easy to understand. I did like the sections highlighting the important features of each reference material and like our classmate, Maria; I had already copied them into a binder for quick reference. Like others in the course, I have been a little dismayed at the state of our reference section. None of the encyclopedias are current and the most recent is 1988. We also have a set of science books from 1971. Since I took over in September no one has gone near the reference section unless they wanted the latest copy of the Guinness Book of Records.
When I looked at the A.I.L. standards we are at the exemplary level for size of book collection.
Periodicals: As far as periodicals go we are below standard. We do subscribe to several magazines such as National Geographic Kids, Sports Illustrated for Kids and Kayak but we certainly have less than 20-30. In our case we don’t have space to keep more than a year’s back issues of the limited magazines we do subscribe to.
Newspapers: No newspapers are in the library. We do subscribe to our small community paper but this is used to cut out pictures of students in the community. We did receive a free month from the Vancouver Sun one year but sadly these just sat in the staffroom unused.
Videos and DVDs: We have a large collection of older VHS tapes and a few DVDs but this has not been a priority. We do have a District Resource Centre which maintains more up to date titles and teachers access this as needed.
Non-print resources: We have a large selection of posters but they are seldom used by teachers or students. I think the vertical file hasn’t been touched in years. Many articles and posters are outdated or tattered and torn. Another project to add to the list of things to do.
Electronic and digital: Our district subscribes to Ebsco and World Book online.
Computer Software Programs: new Smart Board, programs such as All the Right Type and other links through our district webpage.
Assignment #2 will be a valuable project as I will need to order new resources and weed others.
After posting this to the discussion I noticed that others such as me - new to the library or others exploring the reference materials for the first time with a more critical eye or should I say more informed position were a little discouraged with what their libraries had to offer in the way of reference materials. Quite a few found their libraries below the AIL standards. When I looked again at the number of books we had in our library some of the figures were misleading as the number included textbooks too. The way it was set up on our computerized system all textbooks were included with the fiction total so I will have to set up a new category in June when we all the books are in to rectify this.
Although I was not surprised we were below standards it saddens me to see the state of the other libraries in BC. Where is the focus on literacy from our government? Why do we not have a standard list of essential reference materials for all libraries? Once you have at least the basics then the t-l can enhance and personalize his/her collection to meets the demands and requirements of each specific school.
Also looking at our library, it is evident what happens when a person who is not trained is running the library. Although that person may do his/her best it sometimes leads to an uneven distribution of resources or some resources not being updated as required.

No comments: